VCDX Enterprise Administration Exam Complete

As some of you know, last night I took the VCDX Enterprise Administration Exam.  So, let me paint you the picture of how it worked, first you need to read a sheet that shows the rules and regulations for the testing center. Then you need to show two forms of ID (Drivers License & Credit Card worked for me), then you give a digital signature and they take a photo. After your signed in you then remove all your belongings and put them in a locker (this includes cell phones, watches, wallets, money, cheat sheets or food), you can have nothing in your pocket except for your drivers license and the locker key.

Then they will take you to a workstation where they sign you into the test. First you answer 10 simple survey questions, then your dropped into the test where you have the first set of 75 multiple choice questions which make up 60% of your score. It covered a lot of topics, unlike the VCP exam that touched on some of the other VMware products, the VCDX exam strictly stuck to VI3.5 – for example: VCB, DRS, HA, ESX and vCenter.  They didn’t talk about ESXi nor did they get into the details found in the VCP (DiskMaxLun, Portgroup max’s, etc.).

After your finished with those 75 you should have >1 hour remaining to finish the last 11 lab based questions, these final 11 make up 40% of your grade.  The lab actually connects you to a session at VMware corporate, you switch between the question and the lab with a button at the top of the screen.  You continue to use the same session for all the lab questions, I found myself jumping between questions if I remembered something I missed — this makes it nice because your answer isn’t final until you end the lab section at the end of question 86.

vce310.jpgOnce you’ve completed the exam you raise your hand and one of the employees will escort you out of the testing room, you are then provided with your confirmation report.  You then wait 10-12 business days for your results from VMware. In the event you fail, you can take the test again but you’ll need to pay the $400 fee again.  The waiting period between taking the test is 10 days, but you’re going to wait that long for the results so it doesn’t matter.

Correction : I originally stated you can only take the test a max of 2 times, this has been cleared up by Jon Hall at VMware. You can take it as many times as needed, but you must wait 10 days between sittings and you must pay the $400 registration fee again.

I’ll let you know as soon as I get my results!

Created on February 4, 2009 by Rick Scherer

Posted under Certification.

This blog has 7,878 views.

Tags: , , ,

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (3 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

17 Comments so far

1. Eric Sloof
    11:37 am on February 4th, 2009

Are you going to score above the 300 mark? Sure you do :-)

2. Rick Scherer
    12:10 pm on February 4th, 2009

Well, seeing that the labs make up 198 possible points. Knowing that I miff’d one of the labs (the wording was wrong on VMware’s part) I think I got at least 180 points in the labs, that means I only need 30 questions right on the multiple choice piece :)

500 total points
    75 Multiple Choice = 60%/300pts total/4pts ea.
    11 Lab Based = 40%/200pts total/18pts ea.

3. Jason Boche
    5:30 pm on February 4th, 2009

VMware only allows a person to take this twice? If a person fails twice, no VCDX for them ever?

4. Adam
    7:24 pm on February 4th, 2009

Ahh, the life of the professional exam taker!! :)

Well done on the pass; it can’t be long before I have to look at doing it! (Want a job in Aus as a VCI?)

5. Rick Scherer
    11:23 pm on February 4th, 2009

From what I was told, you can only take it twice. I will verify when I talk to Tina at VMware how long the duration is after the 2nd failure (if any).

6. Jon C. Hall
    2:50 pm on February 5th, 2009

Hello all,

As a Technical Certification Developer for VMware, I would like to clarify our re-take policy for the Enterprise Admin Exam. While you are NOT limited to two attempts on this exam, you ARE required to wait 10 days before attempting a re-take. If you have questions, feel free to e-mail me at jonh@vmware.com, or visit the VCDX forum at:

7. Rick Scherer
    3:08 pm on February 5th, 2009

Excellent news Jon! Thanks for visiting the site and clearing this up. I’m not sure where I heard this two try limit, but if you have to take it more than twice you should regroup and save up, because you’re already $800 in the hole! :)

8. Rick Scherer
    3:09 pm on February 5th, 2009

Hey Jon, if there is any way you can help expedite my VCDX Enterprise results, I’d greatly appreciate it :) My candidate information can be found in the image posted above.

9. Jon C. Hall
    8:37 am on February 6th, 2009

Rick,

I’ll do what I can!

10. Matt
    6:33 pm on August 10th, 2009

So the passing score is a 60% (300 pts)? If so, I’m pretty sure I passed today.

11. Rick Scherer
    3:31 pm on August 12th, 2009

Correct, 300 total points needed.

12. Ez
    3:14 am on September 9th, 2009

Hi, im taking the exam sep 21 in london..

I ve attended to ICM class, Design and been working for the last 5 years…

Is this exam based all on DSA commands?

Thanks

13. Jon C. Hall
    9:45 am on September 10th, 2009

While the exam is not based entirely on DSA content, the DSA material is still the optimal resource for study, plus the blueprint of course. The exam has multiple choice items that include some command line content. It also contains live lab exercises that include a number of typical activities.

Hope this helps!

Jon C. Hall
    Technical Certification Developer

14. Kon
    8:26 am on December 16th, 2009

Hi there and thanks for your post.

Just wandering, is there any point now going out to give the exam or i should wait for the vSphere version one?

Regards,
    Kon

15. Rick Scherer
    10:06 am on December 28th, 2009

If you plan on going after the VCDX, I suggest starting as soon as possible. It is a LONG process and the fact that it is at VI3 level doesn’t really matter.

There will be a single upgrade exam for going to VS4. But like I said, the process takes so long it is better if you start it sooner than later.

16. Brian
    6:44 am on March 17th, 2010

If there is a 2 try limit, this does solidify VCDX as an elite exam.

17. Jason Boche
    7:56 am on April 1st, 2010

@Brian What do you mean by this statement?

“If there is a 2 try limit, this does solidify VCDX as an elite exam.”

There is no limit to the amount of times one can attempt this exam. Rick clarified that a long time ago.

Jas