Here is a brief write-up on how to access the Service Console of VMware ESXi. As a disclaimer, this should only be done under the direct supervision of a VMware Support Engineer.
- From the ESXi console summary screen hit ALT-F1.
- Enter the word “unsupported” (without quotes).
- Enter in the root password for your system.
- Be careful
Now edit the inetd.conf file to enable remote SSH into this console;
- Edit /etc/inetd.conf (vi /etc/inetd.conf).
- Remove the # sign in front of the SSH line.
- Kill and restart the inetd process.
1.) ps -ef |grep inetd
2.) kill -HUP <pid>
# pid is the Process ID, the first number displayed from ps -ef
- SSH into the IP of your ESXi server, using your root login/password.
Created on October 20, 2008 by Rick Scherer
This blog has 50,008 views and 12 responses.